What is it?
Cheerleading as a sport is the athletic performance of stunts, tumbles, jumps and dance. Various types of cheerleading exist including:
- All-Star or Competitive Cheer – stunts, tumbles, jumps, dance, etc and then competing against other cheerleading teams.
- Recreational Cheer (Rec) – The same skills as all-star but without the competitive element and sessions are usually more casual.
- Stunt – Focusing solely on the lifting and throwing skills of cheerleading.
- Sideline – Where you support another sports team with chants, choreography etc.
- Dance – Cheerleading offers the opportunity to compete in 3 dance divisions. Jazz, Pom and HipHop.
- Cheerleading Fitness – Inspired by traditional cheerleading moves and techniques but run more like an exercise class.
Why is it good for me?
It’s a full body workout and a chance to meet new people and build great friendships through teamwork.
How much does it cost?
This varies a lot depending on where in the country you train and what sort of cheerleading you do. It’s best to get in touch with local teams to find out the costs associated.
What equipment do I need?
To start you just need to wear comfortable exercise clothing. As you progress you might want to buy cheerleading trainers, bows and eventually your team’s uniform.