What is it?
Cricket is a social, fun and friendly sport that can be played by women of ANY ability.
Many think cricket is played on grass with a hard ball in just the summer; and think a game takes several hours…. THINK AGAIN
There are exciting social and recreational games that can be played either indoors or outdoors with a hard or softball. The time to play can vary but there are formats which can be played between 45 minutes and 3 hours.
Why is it good for me?
Whether you’re batting, bowling or fielding, some of the key benefits include:
- Cardiovascular exercise
- Improves agility
- Great for hand-eye coordination
- Team spirit and the social side of cricket is very strong
- Promotes good sportsmanship
- Develops concentration levels
- Helps with developing skills and there are lots of volunteer opportunities
How much does it cost?
The cost of a cricket session varies. Some clubs offer taster sessions and these can be free, there are pay as you play opportunities; and clubs offer reduced membership to encourage more women to play.
What equipment do I need?
When you start playing cricket it doesn’t have to be expensive. You don’t need lots of specialist equipment so don’t be put off by seeing cricketers lugging huge bags of kit around!
As a starting point all you’ll need is:
- Basic fitness kit… shorts or tracksuit bottoms and a t-shirt
- Some comfortable trainers
The session coach or activator will provide things like softballs and bats for your session