What is it?
Played between two teams, usually on an outdoor pitch, the aim in hockey is to put a ball into your opponent’s goal using a stick.
Hockey is a great team sport which is easy to pick up and combines tactics and team work with a great aerobic workout!
Why is it good for me?
- Great for toning your body, especially your legs and bum!
- A sociable team sport where you can meet new people whilst having fun!
- Improves mental agility and co-ordination
How much does it cost?
Dependent on the club, starting playing can cost from as little as £2 per session but some taster sessions are free. If you play games you are likely to pay per match and this amount varies from club to club.
What equipment do I need?
- T- shirt
- Socks and trainers with a sound sole grip will get you started
- For a beginner, clubs will be able to supply basic equipment, including sticks and balls, but in time, buying a good stick which suits you will prove a sound investment
- Similarly, shin pads, mouth guard & some padded gloves are no bad idea!
- If you fancy becoming a goalkeeper, you’ll need a mask, body padding and leg pads. Some clubs provide this equipment if you decide you’d like to give it a try.