What is it?
There are so many different ways to ride your bike that there really is something for everyone, including Road Cycling, Mountain Biking, BMX and Track Cycling. They’re all quite different, even though they are all done on bikes, and require different skills. For example it could be said that BMX racing is more suited to young (and young at heart!) people due to the nature of the sport, whereas Road Cycling can be done by all.
Either way, all forms of cycling are a great way to keep fit and get yourself from A to B. You don’t have to be a BMXer or a mountain biker to dust off that saddle and get peddling!
Why is it good for me?
- Cycling is a great form of cardiovascular exercise
- It has a low impact on joints, particularly your knees
- If you join a group or club it can be a very sociable sport
How much does it cost?
This varies depending on what type of cycling you want to do. A good all round bike will generally cost you around £150, but this can vary greatly depending on whether you want to do a specific type of cycling.
When riding a bike, safety equipment is paramount. Most important of all is a helmet, which may cost upwards of £40, but is likely to be the most valuable piece of kit you buy.
What equipment do I need?
- A bike
- A helmet
- Suitable clothing for the weather and trousers that won’t get caught in the chain or wheels
- If you’re going for a longer ride then padded shorts are a good idea for added comfort
- Reflective clothing and lights for riding in the dark