Why is it good for me?
- It’s great aerobic exercise to help stay fit
- The tactics make it a good all round work out for your brain as well
- Your flexibility, balance and reaction speed is enhanced by all the twisting, turning, jumping and stretching
- Hand to eye co-ordination is tested, as are your reflexes
- You can play at your own pace and to your own limits
How much does it cost?
The going rate for court hire is anywhere from £6 – £12 per hour and in some cases badminton court hire comes as part of a wider membership offer with Leisure Centre’s membership benefits.
If you need a bit more structure, you can just turn up and play at any of the No Strings sessions for just £3-£5 per session, with sessions lasting from one to three hours, it offers fantastic value.
You can join an Essentials beginners coaching course from £30 for eight weeks or if it is 1:1 coaching the going rate tends to be around £20 per hour plus court time.
What equipment do I need?
The better you get, the better your equipment can be, but if you’re only starting:
It’s a court, not a catwalk! Normal sportswear or comfortable leisure clothing with a bit of stretch is usually fine, but generally anything goes.
Some sports centres may require you to wear non-marking soled footwear. White kit is a thing of the past, so wear what you are comfortable in – the more colour the better!
Most sports centres will hire you rackets and shoes and charge you a small fee or deposit for shuttles.